Welcome to another Top Five Wednesday. Today’s topic is Themes/tropes that will make you NOT want to pick a book up, and here’s my list.
- Billionaire love interests: Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against billionaires. I just feel that this has been really overdone in New Adult romances. Surely there are other ways of making a character appealing.
- Cocky, dominating male love interests: UGGH! I hate such characters so frickin much. It’s okay to be confident, but I hate it when the male characters are shown to be really dominating and the female characters find that attractive.
- The womanizer who is not really one: I just realized that I am listing so many New Adult tropes. I guess that’s why I tend to avoid that genre. Anyway, this another trope I think is annoying as fuck.
- Cheesy couples on the covers of non-romance books: Sometimes the blurb says it is a badass book about fighting or aliens or whatever, but there is this really cheesy couple on the cover. Instant turn off.
- Naked people or steamy scene on the cover of a book that really doesn’t have much sex in it: I can understand it when erotica or steamy romances have such covers. However, there are also these romances which have like two sex scenes with a really steamy cover. One word-WHY?
- Paranormal romance: Honestly, if I ever found out vampires or werewolves are real, I’d have bigger things to think about than which boy I want to make out with.
- Fairy-Tale retellings without much creativity : I love some fairy tale retellings-The Lunar Chronicles for one. However, I feel that there are many retellings out there that are really unorginal. I also think that some authors write retellings just because they are unable to come up with a new plot.
- Dark Fairy -Tale retellings: I don’t mind if they’re done right,but I feel some of them are there just for the shock value.
SO, that’s it. Today’s top ten is a top eight. DO share your opinions.